Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Zombie Bikers on Wheels

On Sunday 10/4 I worked on a music video for a song named "Zombie Bikers on Wheels" This all came about when I had gone with my friend Trevor to a screening of his friend Jon's series of videos called "Zombies from Eureka" Here's some of Jon's work
Zombie Dance

After that screening we where having beers, and Jon was talking about his next project which was this zombie music video involving bikers, and I was like "do you need guys on bikes" A month later there we where in this little industrial strip out in the Bayshore neighborhood near Bev Mo. I had convinced SFMC members Dave "Papa" Schiller, my racing buddy, and Papa's son Eric, and Andy "Rabit" to come along. So there where 4 of us total.

The location was this small warehouse that had old train tracks running in front of it. Most of Jon's Zombie stuff had very simple make up but the band had invited a make up artist named Autumn to join, and she was great. The zombie make up was definitely stepped up a notch or 3. After all 4 of where in makeup Jon started shooting some warm up shots getting a feel for what he wanted to do. One of the residents of the warehouse helped in the filming. He provided a smoke machine, and helped out.

After some establishing shots we started on the bike shots. We rode around in circles a few times, and did some back and forth stuff. The band had a back up singer named Jenny, and I rode Rabit's bike with her on the back, and did some more circles while Jon filmed in the middle. It was tough as I kept having to ride over train tracks.

We'd had enough this riding in circles thing, and we convinced Jon it was time for some stunt shots. Note: Bad Idea. We placed Jon in the middle of the tracks while Eric and I rode wheelies past him. After my third of fourth run when I brought my front wheel down it got caught in the damn train track and down I went. I've crashed plenty of times but this one hurt. I was only wearing my leather pants, and vest, no jacket or helmet as I was in zombie make up. I was rashed up pretty bad on my arms, and I had twisted the hell out of my ankle. Eric helped get my bike up, and after a few minutes we finished the stunt shots. I couldn't just quit.

We had to reshoot Jenny's scene as she forgot to sing her lyrics so back on Rabit's bike with the cute girls in fishnets again. Darn. Then came the customary burn out scene. I had a mostly worn tire anyway so I smoked the hell out of it. After that it was time for street shots. We put our helmets on, Jon got in the back of an SUV, and we hit the streets. We rode really slow around the block a few times trying to look like hungry zombie bikers. That finished out day.

Papa, and Rabit left after that, but Eric, and I stuck around to do some more set up shots, and watch Jon do the band shots inside the warehouse. It was a lot of fun hanging out, but my ankle hurt like hell, and I could barely put any weight on it. Eric and I took off and went to Ace Cafe for a beer still in our full zombie make up. We made for quit a scene entering the bar. It had been a fun day, especially for friends that had never been around any kind of production before. I took off and went to Grandma's Saloon to hang out with Trevor and Jon and talk about the day. Again my ankle hurt like hell and I had to hobble around around.

Monday morning my ankle was still really swollen so I decided to go Kaiser and have it checked out. After the customary visit to the Dr I was sent to xray where my buddy Mole from the Secret Society Scooter Club works as an xray tech. He took one picture and said from the back room "yup you broke it" What? Seriously? He showed me the picture and sure enough I'd broken the medial malleolus clean through. The Dr gave me a splint, and referred to the orthopedic foot clinic where on Tuesday they put me in a full cast from the knee down. Total bummer.

And that folks is how I ended my racing season. What a bummer. I was one race away from doing the entire AFM season. So here it trying to keep my leg elevated as long often as I can for the next 4-6 weeks. I go back next week for more xrays, and to see if I need any screws to keep it all together.


Mmm... Fresh blood




Cast and crew from left to right top to bottom

Papa, Autumn, Rabit, Mickey, Adam, Adam's hot girlfriend

Eric, film maker Jon



My riding outfit



Me and Jenny



Burnt rubber



Newly added Ouch 1



and ouch 2

No comments: