Friday, March 16, 2012

Checking In

It's been way to long since I've written anything. So here's a quick synopsis.

Between race 5 and race 6 Kate I went on a real vacation. Something I haven't done in a really long time. Kate wrote about it here. http://kateslair.blogspot.com/2011/08/kauai-or-bust_10.html
It was excellent, and much needed. We need to do that more often.


In August I did my last race of 2011. It was a wild weekend. I crashed on literally the last lap of practice on Friday afternoon. I was sure my bike was wrecked as it had been at the end of the 2010 season. In actuality it only had a bent rear brake lever, and broken wind screen. I fixed in 15 minutes and we were good for Saturday. The races were tight, and fun. I did well with some of my best finishes. It was a bummer though to end in August. Work would prevent me from getting to race anymore that year. I still finished 7th in both of my championships, and that isn't too bad for missing 2 races!

 The fall of 2011 had some crazy work adventures. First there was Oracle like normal, which isn't normal at all unless you work on Oracle in the Fall every year. Then there was a massive corporate party down in San Jose. 5 Semi's of lighting and rigging. That show looked awesome, but it was brutal getting it there. My buddies Tim, and Trevor worked on it with me along with Walter from Impact. It was silly, and almost fun.
I did a private event where J-Lo sang for 100 people. That was crazy wild. I was her LD for a day. Me and Walter had a very late night, and early morning trying to program 9 songs, along with trickster David Blaine, and violinist Han bin, and glass decor by artist Dale Chihuly, it was one of the most epic events I ever worked on. Did I mention it was for 100 people? It seemed like the work would never stop. We rolled right through Xmas, and into the new year where again I went to Vegas to work on CES for Paul Fine. Vegas is a strange place. I don't know how anybody lives there. After 11 days working at the convention center I wanted out! My booth looked great, and the clients were all happy so it was a good gig. I had about a week back at Impact where we did the pre-game, and half time show for the 49ers NFC Championship game. Another wild day of rain, mud, and crazy special effects. I partnered up with Michael Sturtz of Crucible fame to make some big fireballs as the players ran out onto the field. Then we almost crashed and burned for half time show as the rolling stage holding the lighting trees broke minutes before we went out onto the field. A huge thanks to the combined forces military service men and women who were standing by. They jumped in and helped us hand carry all the lighting gear onto the field. And then a few days later I bounced out to Hawaii again this time to do some work on the Pro-Bowl with my friends at E2k Sports. More crazy adventures ensued.

So here it is March of 2012, and since getting back from Hawaii I've been very focused on my pre-racing season prep. I'll get that written up in my next post hopefully in a few days time. I wanted to just get something small written, and out there. I need to do this writing thing more often, It's good for me. I think the little snippets of Facebook and Twitter are not very good at telling the story, and just make us even lazier about communcating with people.

No comments: