Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Gygax is Dead, Long Live Gygax!

Gary Gygax died yesterday

Most people will say "who?" That's OK. I played a lot when I was a pre-teen, but dropped it when I discovered girls in highschool. I picked it back up in college, and formed friendships that last today. I love fantasy fiction books, and I'll go see just about any fantasy movie, even if it's meant for kids. I can pretty safely say that comes from playing Gary's games. Later I played Magic the Gathering. I still have a stack of cards under my bed I break out when my friend Michael comes over.

This quote from John Kovalic over at Dane101.com really sums it up.

I saw shelves and shelves of roleplaying games like D&D, GURPS and Vampire, card games like Magic and Munchkin, miniatures games like Warhammer, just dozens and dozens - hundreds, in fact - of games, toys, dice, gamer comic books, gamer collectibles, you name it.

"You know," I said, to nobody in particular. "If it hadn't been for Gary and Dave (Arneson), none of this would probably be here."


Godspeed Mr Gygax, and thank you for the memories

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I probly wouldn't admit it to anyone else -- but I shed a tear when I heard the news. It *almost* makes me want to break out the old Manuals & re-read them...(I SAID "Almost") !!!