Saturday, May 17, 2008

AFM Round 2 at Sears Point

Round 2 of the AFM season took place at one of my favorite tracks Infineon Raceway, forever known to me as Sears Point April 26-27th.

I went up to the track Friday night to get the pit area all set up, and Werkstatt friends Marie, and Cliff had ridden on Friday and saved me some space.

Saturday morning my first order of business was to get a new rear tire! We only get 4 practice sessions on Saturday so it's important to get up to speed quickly. I had been racing and riding a lot so I'm now comfortable on my bike, and it's time to start to really push to find time. My previous best time on my EX500 was a 1:54.7 which was an epic lap time for that wet noodled race bike. My goal for the weekend was to get into the 52's. I was struggling with my brakes fading after a few laps. It hadn't been bad at Willow because you don't use the brakes much but at Sears you use the brakes alot! After about 4 laps the brakes would fade, and I would need to pull the lever harder and harder to get any bite, and when they would bite, they would come on sudden. I kept trying to adjust the suspension to deal with this sudden and sharp brake hit, but that was the wrong solution. I had run off track in my last lap of several sessions not having enough braking power to get slowed down into T9, and that is not a good feeling. I spoke with many racing veterans about what could be causing this problem, but it was the guys at Galfer that really helped. It turns out that my EBC so called "kit" racing pads had warped after only 2 race weekends, and where having a small but constant drag which would cause the brake fluid to over heat, and thus fade. So even with my brake problems I was running consistant 54's, and best time of '53.7. Not too bad considering the brake problems.

Sunday morning practice was great. The new brake pads from Galfer, and my bead blasted rotors had done the trick. I rode the whole 20 minute session with no brake fade. I felt confident about my possibilities. I was starting 24th in both races based on my finishes in Buttonwillow, and I felt a top 20 was possible.

My first race of the day was race 6 650 Twins. I got a great launch, passed at least a row of bikes and drove up the hill into T2, but like my usual self I gave back more places than I took entering T2. I need to figure out why I suck so badly entering that turn at the start of the race. I settled in and started making passes as soon as we got to T4. I rode hard and clean and passed every bike I could see. The next bike being too far away to catch. I finished 16th with a best time of 1:53.3.

My 2nd race was number 11 Formula IV. It's hard to stay motivated that late in the day, and when the race started I did not have the same determination I did earlier. Once again I got a great launch, and gave it all back in T2. This time I had given up a slight gap to the group in front of me, and I lacked that motivation to go after them. I went around a lap or so with the gap staying the same. Then Alex Florea #49 had a moment going down the hill from 3A to T4, apparently suffering from a cramp. All the bikes behind him checked up, and now all of a sudden they where within reach and I had found my motivation. The next few laps would be some of my smartest racing yet. The wind was blowing hard, and as you approached T7 and I figured I could brake a little later since I wouldn't be going as fast, and the wind would help slow me down. That allowed me to get past a couple of people on each lap. Since there was a head wind going into 7 there was a tail wind going into 9, and I figured I needed to brake earlier. This also allowed me to make some passes, because I think the wind and extra speed spooked the other riders. These are examples of why have good reference points work. I was able to make adjustments mid race to braking points, and take advantage of people. I finished 19th with a best lap of 1:52.2.

That was a great weekend of racing with good results. I I finished top 20 in both my races, and hit my lap time goal of 52's. I look forward to going back to Sears May 24th, and improve even more. I think top 10's could be possible by the end of the season, and maybe even a sub 1:50!.

Thanks to the people that help me go faster.
Jennifer at Werkstatt Motorcycle Repair
Dave Moss of Catalyst Reaction
Dunlop, and Terry at Sport Tire Services
Paul Fine of Fine Design
Julio from Tommy's








No comments: