Monday, May 26, 2008

AFM Round 3 at Sears Point

The weekend of May 24-25th saw the AFM show return to my favorite track Sears Pt.

The weekend started rough as it rained on Saturday. Rain at the end of May - WTF? I only got two practice sessions in, and the track was slippery, and I didn't feel very confident. Then the rain came and that was the end of the day.

Sunday had much better weather, and I put fresh tires on before the morning practice. The track was still very green, and the tires where new so I didn't find out anything new just sort of warmed myself up.

My first race was Race 1 Formula FIV. We have a riders meeting at the end of practice, and the first race starts very shortly after that. So if you're in Race 1 you need to have all your shit together because there just isn't much time. I know that, and my bike was totally prepped and ready. When I got to my grid position I wasn't very focused. Normally at the start of the race I take a second to look around, and formulate a plan on where I want to go on the track. I don't know why but I didn't do that, and as the race started it showed. I got a bad start and went backwards from there. I got passed several times, and only on the last lap did I make one of those back. I was not focused and not confident. I finished something like 21st. The first time I finished behind where I started. What I learned from that race was that I need to take time to narrow my focus, and gather myself up before heading out for the warm up lap.

My second race was Race 9 650 Twins. By the start of race 8 I was in my leathers and sitting in my chair next to my bike just doing laps around the track in my head. Totally focused. We go out on the warm up lap and I feel much more aggressive. I leave early and get to my grid spot on the third row with only a handful of people gridded. This gives me some time to once again narrow my focus. I take note of where I am on the track, and where I want to go. The Formula II race is the first wave and it gives me a chance to watch the starter from my peripheral vision.

When the green flag flies for my race I get a great start and head up the hill with only a few people in front of me. I can't believe how far up front I am and I tell myself to hold a tight line through T2. Well I was so focused on my line I forgot to down shift and I had no drive exiting T2 and I lost a few positions. By the end of lap 1 I was in 10th place with a good chance of a Top 10 finish. On lap three the red flag comes out. Bummer. I go back to my pit, put the tire warmers back on, and sit back down next to my bike, drink some water, and try to maintain my focus. People keep trying to talk to me about the race but I know it's going to restart any minute so I just ignore them and keep focused.

I am totally focussed, and now energized at the possibility of a Top 10 finish. I'm the first one out for the warm up lap, and I'm riding aggressive. I'm the first person to the grid, and I take my spot, and I stay totally focused. This time I'm going to remember to down shift for T2.

The green flag flies, and I get an even better start, and as we head up the hill I'm in 7th. I down shift and stay on the gas. I give up a spot going into T3, and another going into T4, each by guys I know are capable of winning the race so I feel like I'm in rare company. By the end of lap 1 I'm in 9th place ready for a fight to defend my position. By the time we get to T7 the red flag is out race stopped again (more on that later) OK back to the pits and once again try to remain composed and focused. This is the biggest exercise in patience and focus I've ever had. I'm trying to keep my energy level up, but I'm feeling a little dejected like I've missed an opportunity. We go out for our 3rd warm up lap and I'm not riding as aggressively and I notice it. Focus I tell myself. I get to my grid spot, and I try once again to find that composure that I had in the previous race.

Green flag flies, and I don't get the rocket ship start from before but a solid start still. As we head up the hill one of the Twin Works bikes pinches me off the inside and we nearly collide. I have to stand it up to keep from hitting him as two of the leaders run off track having made contact going up the hill. I see them coming across the dirt heading for the track and I wonder if they are going to get stopped in time, and as a result I roll off the gas and a couple of people get by me. DAMN IT I think. OK as we go through 3 and 4 I stay with them and I think I can salvage a Top 10 finish if I can get in front of one or two of them. As we exit T6 onto the back straight I am hard on the gas setting them up for a late braking maneuver, and the face shield on my helmet comes loose. It sucks to be going 100mph with nothing covering your eyes. I try to push it back in place before I need to get on the brakes, and in doing so a few people get by me. I go through turns 7,8, and 8a, and as I head down the hill to T9 I try again to snap the shield back in place as a couple more people get by me. At this point I decide I'm a danger to not only myself but the people around me, and I put my hand up, and pull behind the tires in T9. I wait for the field to go by and I cruise into the pits. DNF

So it was a disappointing weekend. There where some high points. Jim Hoogerhyde won the Formula Singles race. Some of Jim's friends from the Cretin MC came up from LA to race their vintage bikes, and they where super cool guys to hang out with.

At the start of the year I was helping a guy I had met while doing track days get started racing. Last night he sent me a text message saying he was the reason for the red flag after the 2nd start. Reason for red flag Thanks Steve.
Oh well that's racing. We'll get 'em next time at Thunderhill.

As always Thanks to the people that help me go faster.
Jennifer at Werkstatt Motorcycle Repair
Dave Moss of Catalyst Reaction
Dunlop, and Terry at Sport Tire Services
Paul Fine of Fine Design
Julio from Tommy's

No comments: