Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Training

About 5 months ago I started actively going to the gym again. I had fallen out of the rhythm and got lazy, and as such I was running out of energy when I rode on the track. I guess starting in November I picked it back up with a much more serious intensity. I've been trying to go every other day, or at least every third day. At first it was hard just finding the motivation, but once into a rhythm it's not that bad. I have a program I do based loosely on some personal training I had a few years ago. I spend 30 minutes on a stationary bike trying to hit a target heart rate for 4 minutes, then a higher rate for 1 minute, and back down again. Training your heart to speed up, and more importantly slow back down is vital to not getting tired when pushing yourself during physical challenges which in my case is racing. After the cardio work out I do a series of core floor exercises, then move on to some strength training stuff using free weights or machines. It's been great. I've added resistance and additional weight to all my routines. At the first AFM round I rode for 3 days in a row which would usually leave me feeling extremely sore Monday morning, but not this time around. On Monday I was tired but not sore at all. Not only that but I've added a lot of muscle mass to my upper body. Suffice it to say other than the arthritis in my right shoulder I'm in the best shape I've ever been in. Now let's see if I can keep at it all year.

No comments: