Thursday, February 11, 2010

Forks of Fury

Things are really starting to come together in the pre-season racing preparation. I knew that my forks needed freshening up, but I wanted to investigate options for improving them. So off they went to my trusted suspension shop and sponsor Catalyst Reaction Suspension Catalyst Reaction. I can't praise these guys enough. I've been working with them since 2007, and in 2008 when I got my new bike they agreed to sponsor me. Having Dave and Jim available to work on my bike on race weekends is like having my own personal suspension technician in my garage. It's awesome to be able to ride up to their tent, tell them about what I'm feeling, what the bike is doing, and they make adjustment based on that feedback. I've learned so much about suspension setup, bike setup, how to communicate about what the bike is doing, and even how to ride by working with these guys. I've learned to trust them. As long as I communicate clearly and honestly what I feel then they have carte blanche to to twist and turn the knobs. So off the forks went, and a couple days later I got a call from Jim telling me what he saw, what he thought, and what he recommended. It didn't take long for me to say give me the works. New springs more appropriate for my weight, a custom shim stack specific to my bike, and riding style, and of course all new bushings, seals, and oil. I'm so excited to try out the new set up. The forks should absorb bumps better while also being more consistent throughout the stroke. I should be able to brake later, and carry the braking deeper into the turn with more speed, and still not upset the chassis. The one fear I have is that 2 years of suspension data I've been collecting at each track is now thrown out the window. I'm starting from scratch, but with a lot more sense of what direction to go. I'm planning on attending a pair of trackdays at the end of February to test out the new bits. I can't wait!

No comments: